Thursday, April 02, 2009

Tim Cahill is ACE

Brilliant interview with Tim Cahill love the way he answers the liverpool question. No disrespect but letting everyone know that he gets what it's like to be a good blue. I think we'll heard that quote a fair bit.

DR: Can you explain why you've become such a cult hero at Everton?
TC: Every time I score, the passion comes out and I try to relay that back to the fans and to the players and the staff at how grateful I am to be playing for such a good football club. I am part of the furniture at Everton but I don't take it for granted.
DR: It could be argued that you embody Everton, in that you punch above your weight. Is that fair or is that a slight on both your character and that of Everton?
TC: It doesn't matter. I take compliments and I take constructive criticism. Not everyone loves you. It's the way you react as a footballer. I use it all to make me play better.
DR: Do you think you might have won more honours and recognition if you'd gone to a bigger club?
TC: Is the grass always greener? Is it the right situation for you and your family and you as a player? I feel that I am achieving a lot at Everton. It's unfortunate that I haven't won them big awards. But who knows? Maybe one day. But beating Liverpool is like winning an FA Cup. Once you've played for Everton and know what it is to be a Blue, then you know what it means to beat Liverpool.
DR: You've had good battles in the Merseyside derbies. Those games seem to really matter to you.
TC: Definitely. I hold the record with Dixie Dean for being the only Everton player to score three derby goals at Anfield. I still hope to better it. Things like that, the fans never forget. [Ex-Liverpool striker] Ian Rush said that games like that make you a legend and to me that means a lot more than going to a club and being part of a trophy but not really recognised.
DR: Would you ever consider a move to Liverpool if they came in for you?
TC: Never. Never, never. No money in this world could convince me to play for Liverpool. That's not a lack of respect for Liverpool supporters or the football club. It's respect for the Everton supporters. You just can't do that. It goes against everything that I stand for. No chance.

DR: Arsene Wenger is a big fan of yours. What about going to somewhere like Arsenal?
TC: It's a different story when it comes to things like that. Opportunities arise and you either turn them down or you take them. The best thing for me now is I'm at a club that really likes me.
DR: What's the story behind your trademark celebration of boxing the corner flag when you score?
TC: It's from [fellow Socceroo] Archie Thompson. Archie did a kung-fu celebration and I said: "That's quality, I love your celebration." And he said: "Do it. Take it to the Premiership." So I adapted it and it's stuck now. Archie's trying to buy it back off me but he can't have it.
DR: You like to dedicate goals. You dedicated your FA Cup goal against Aston Villa to the people affected by the bushfires in Victoria.
TC: People mourn in different ways. I just felt I had to put that [black] armband on and go on that pitch carrying Australia on my arm. And then when I scored, [Everton captain] Phil Neville is pointing to my arm and the lads are cuddling me and it felt so magical; it felt like the weight had been lifted off my shoulders just for those few seconds.

1 comment:

Alan Smart said...

Check out my new Everton video - posted today for the cup semi

Help me get it out there.

The red shite will ove it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AyeWeCan