Saturday, April 11, 2009

Russell Brand: The thrill of how the Premier League mighty are falling | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Russell Brand: The thrill of how the Premier League mighty are falling | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Like this article by Russel Brand about being a footy fan.

When in my life am I ever so consumed with passion, I reflected? Will I ever live a moment with such committal and unquestioning verve? When at Upton Park the Hammers score as they dutifully did, twice, on Saturday briefly I am lifted but my goal celebrations as a fan are succinct. Typically I rise from my seat during the build-up play, the momentum lifts us all in unison and then as the line is breached I'll maybe punch the air, one fist, or two if the goal really demands it, then self consciousness is again upon me.

Often I notice that fans around me are still jigging about but I have been returned, deposited once more in the ordinary. Like in orgasm, the release, the presence of divinity is fleeting and all too soon all that remains is the mind and its undying question – "is this it? Is this it?" Well, yes, I'm afraid it is. In life there is no second leg.

No comments: